Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:32:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        onofrio@colba.net (Onofrio Schiavone)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation

In a previous message, Onofrio Schiavone said:
> Hi! To Whom it my concern,
>
>       I need help in installing Free BSD on my computer.  I have a pentium
> with a 2.4G hard drive.  The principle operating system running is Win95.
> I've partioned the hard drive in the following manner,  C: 300M, D: 200M,
> E: 250M, F: 250M, G: 250M, H: 250M and I: 925M.  Win95 has been installed
> on C:.  All the partions have been  MS-DOS formated.  I would like to
> install the Free BSD operating system on the I: drive.

Let's start by saying that FreeBSD does not go on a DOS partition. Primary
or Extended. A disk can have 4 real partitions. So if "I:" is in the
same extended partition as d: e: f: g: and h:, you'll have to redo that
partition (which means deleting d: through i:) using fdisk in windows.

So the moral of the story is. Don't blame FreeBSD when you blow away your
data.

>       Does the I: drive need to be MS-DOS formated?  I bought the CD-ROM
> version of FreeBSD 2.2.2 .  I have CD-ROM drive installed, so I intend to
> install it from the CD-ROM drive.  Furthermore, I would like to able to
> switch from UNIX to Win95 and vice versa with no problems.

No the drive is not DOS format. It uses FFS format from Berkeley.

Switching is no problem. One question is for installing the FreeBSD boot
selector. This is Boot easy. It works well. There is also OS-BS on the
cd.

--
Plato, St. Francis, Leonardo da Vinci, Vince Lombardi - you don't find
guys of that caliber today.             - Garrison Keillor