Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:58:49 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: EXIF inspector

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>wrote:

> On 08/24/12 14:54, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> pen-ep3.
> everything.

> fields that's in the picture.

>  pro-
> an
> >>
> >> exif appears to list only "known" exif tags, and seems to omit vendor
> specific
> >> information.  Much of the important information about an image is
> stored in the
> >> vendor specific tags.
> >
> > exif -'|' filename show the camera vendors stuff
> >
> > kw# exif -'|' IMG_0657.JPG
> > MakerNote contains 109 values:
> > Macro Mode          |Normal
> > Self-timer          |Off
> >
> >> In the case of my oly pen-ep3, exif -l lists 143 known exif tags,
> >> of which only 49 are used by my camera.  However, exiv2 shows over
> >> 300 pieces of relevant information which actually appear, and well over
> 100
> >> I can identify as relevant to the particular image (the others may or
> may not
> >> be relevant, I just can't interpret them; some are unlabelled).
>
> Perhaps it depends on the camera; or perhaps Canon puts all of the
> additional
> information in the MakerNote.  For my oly, the MakerNote contains next to
> nothing:
>
> %exif -'|' Bird_0001B_20111214_300mm_IS_30s_Flicker.jpg
> MakerNote contains 7 values:
> Speed/Sequence/Panor|Normal/0/0
> Camera ID           |OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
> Unknown Tag         |
> Unknown Tag         |
> Unknown Tag         |
> Unknown Tag         |
> Unknown Tag         |
>
> Another possibility is you are missing some info you aren't aware of.
> I'm curious to know if Canon stashes things in other places;
> I know nikon does similar to the way oly does as reported below;
> exiv2 -u -p a on a nikon raw file shows 112 nikon specific values.
>
> %man exif
>   As EXIF tags are read, any unknown ones are discarded...
>
> %exiv2 -u -p a Bird_0001B_20111214_300mm_IS_30s_Flicker.jpg
> Exif.Image.ImageDescription                  Ascii      32  OLYMPUS
> DIGITAL CAMERA
> Exif.Image.Make                              Ascii      24  OLYMPUS
> IMAGING CORP.
> Exif.Image.Model                             Ascii      17  E-P3
> Exif.Image.Orientation                       Short       1  top, left
> Exif.Image.XResolution                       Rational    1  314
> Exif.Image.YResolution                       Rational    1  314
> Exif.Image.ResolutionUnit                    Short       1  inch
> Exif.Image.Software                          Ascii      32  Version 1.0
> Exif.Image.DateTime                          Ascii      20  2011:12:14
> 13:46:47
> Exif.Image.Artist                            Ascii      64  Gary Aitken
> Exif.Image.YCbCrPositioning                  Short       1  Co-sited
> [...]

I've always used /usr/ports/graphics/jhead which has seemed to me to show
the most information.... here is a basic comparison.. but the exiv2 is
cool, didn't realize it would work with RAW files.. thanks for that
information!

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA

# jhead -v IMG_8203.thumb.jpg
Exif header 1384 bytes long
Exif section in Intel order
(dir has 12 entries)
    ImageDescription = "?"
    Make = "Canon?"
    Model = "EOS REBEL T2i?"
    Orientation = 8
    XResolution = 300/1
    YResolution = 300/1
    PlanarConfiguration = 1
    ResolutionUnit = 2
    Software = "dcraw v9.12?"
    DateTime = "2012:07:15 14:23:58"
    Artist = "?"
    ExifOffset = 294
    Exif Dir:(dir has 4 entries)
        ExposureTime = 5065/1000000
        FNumber = 11313708/1000000
        ISOSpeedRatings = 100
        FocalLength = 100000000/1000000
Jpeg section marker 0xdb size 132
JPEG image is 5184w * 3456h, 3 color components, 8 bits per sample
Jpeg section marker 0xc4 size 418
File name    : IMG_8203.thumb.jpg
File size    : 3373614 bytes
File date    : 2012:07:15 19:07:52