Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 18:28:22 CST6CDT
From:      "Marcus I. Ryan" <shad@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0 find Adaptec 1740, but not my drives

Since this keeps coming up, the machine I'm trying to do this on has
run for over 2 years as a VERY reliable NetWare Server.  I am
hesitant to suspect a wiring problem.  Perhaps an Adaptec Enhanced
mode setting, or perhaps not enough delay for the devices to settle,
yes.  Wiring, no.

By the way, I have now joined the FreeBSD-scsi mailing list, so it is
no longer necessary to CC me.  Thanks!

For those that missed it, here's a slightly updated version of the
original message to c.u.b.f.m:

FROM: shad@iastate.edu (Marcus I. Ryan)
SUBJECT: 2.1.0 find Adaptec 1740, but not my drives
DATE: Wed, 24 Jan 96 02:34:58 GMT
ORGANIZATION: Iowa State University

I'm currently running a FreeBSD WWW server (2.0.5).  I would like to
move it off of the 386DX/25 with 8M onto a faster machine.  I'm having
problems.

Although FreeBSD 2.1.0 Release finds and properly identifies my
Adaptec 1740, it fails to find any hard drives (making installation
rather difficult :)

I have looked through here, and through the parts of the FAQ that
seemed like they would be appropriate.  Nothing seems to apply.

The Machine (Note: this has been a netware server for almost 2 years):
HP Vectra 486/33T Tower Server (EISA) 40MB RAM Adaptec 1740 SCSI
Controller (see below)
  Target 0 - HP D1685-60001 - Drive C: (80h)
  Target 1 - HP D1685-60001 - Drive D: (81h)
  Target 2 - HP D2645       - Drive 82h
SMC Elite 16+ (Are there drivers for the NE3200 or any 3com EISA
cards?) other standard stuff (2s/p/g, vga, etc.)

Adaptec Settings:
Host Adapter Interface Mode: Enhanced Mode
Standard Mode Resource Selection:
  I/O Port Definition: Disabled (Enhanced Mode)
  DMA Channel Definition: Disabled (Enhanced Mode)

Host Adapter SCSI ID: Device Id 7

SCSI Bus Reset at Power-on: Enable SCSI bus reset

Host Adapter BIOS: Enabled @ Base Address CC000H

Advanced Enhanced Mode BIOS Options
  Extended BIOS Translation: Disabled
  Support for more than 2 drives: Enabled
  Immediate Return on Seeks: Enabled

SCSI Device Configuration:
  Error if Device Not Found: no
  BIOS Support Option: hd (no on device 7)
  Send Start Command: no
  Enable Parity Check: yes
  Initiate Synch Negotiation: yes
  Enable Disconnection: yes
  Maximum Synch Xfer Rate (MBs per second) 10.0

FreeBSD 2.1.0 reports:
ahb0: reading board settings, int=11
ahb0: at 0x6000-0x60ff irq 11 on eisa slot 6
ahb0: waiting for SCSI devices to settle...

but never even probes to see if the drives are there.  Booting with
the -v option indicates that the BIOS sees the drives and properly
identifies them.

If I don't get FreeBSD running on the new server soon, my boss is
going to make me switch to Solaris for the PC, or Linux (*shudder*).
Hopefully someone can save me from this fate!

Thanks to anyone who can and/or has helped!

Marcus I. Ryan          |*The joy of engineering is finding a
Asst. SysAdmin, CCE Labs| straight line on a double-logarithmic
Iowa State University   | scale
(515) 294-0715          | http://www.public.iastate.edu/~shad