Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:25:54 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        ac199@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Matthew Thyer <thyerm@satech.net.au>, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95q.970317103846.233A-100000@X2296> Tim Vanderhoek writes:
: I'm not sure how much interpretation is necessary.  There
: are three concurrent branches.  -STABLE, -RELEASE, and
: -CURRENT.  All three of these branches are, in fact,
: _current_.  The problem is introduced when people confuse
: "current" with -CURRENT.

The -stable branch isn't very current wrt bug fixes and the like.
There have been long periods of time when it was woefully neglected,
and it is time to admit that it is mature, and move on to 2.2.  We'll
be doing our users a disservice if we keep encouraging them to use
old, moldy software.

Warner