Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:44:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jlrobins@castor.uncc.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AFS support?

Any plans for AFS support in -current anytime soon? I'm building a
multi-platform network for the dept. of Comp. Science here at UNCC, and
being able to make use of the existing AFS servers on campus would be
a *big* win.

We've got SGI indigo 2's and various Sparcs running (ugh god help me)
Soalris 2.4. I'd love to convince the department that a student lab
composed of higher end pentiums + FreeBSD + WNT or W95 (they want
M$ apps as well -- can't fight that) would be a much better idea
than Solaris on SS5's or bigger machines. The cost / performance + stability
ratio is simply staggering. You have no idea how expensive a truecolor
capable Sparc display is, esp. when you look at a $450 *fast* PCI
card plus AccelX + OpenGL extensions.

I'm even willing to shell out some personal cash to see this happen.

I know that Linux has AFS support, and I heard somewhere that NetBSD does,
so I can't see why some hungry hacker couldn't snarf up the netbsd code
and go to town.

Any takers?

Thanks,
James

James Robinson                             Phone: (704) 547-4876
Department of Computer Science             FAX:   (704) 547-3516
UNC Charlotte                              email: jlrobins@uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001                   System Administrator