Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2012 21:47:28 -0500
From:      Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Some news

So far:
I've run ./path/jre-ppc.bin
This results in the temporary unpacking directory to complain about an
uncompress error.
The tempoary fix: cd /path/to/vm.tar.Z
tar xvf vm.tar.Z
(list)
Extraction stops at /tmp/$INSTALL_DIR/resource/jre/lib/ddr with j9ddr.jar.
Whenever the IBM Developerworks site comes back online, I'll post the
errors there and also at the Oracle Java forums. This is further than
the install on Debian went.

For sdk-ppc.bin: Did not go so well. Damaged tar archive.

The installer suggested downloading using binary mode.

I'm hoping that this information helps out a little.