Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:26:03 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: MAC address / per-proto ARP caching in 8.1-RELEASE

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:30:39AM -0400, Steve Polyack wrote:
> Is anyone aware of some sort of facility in either FreeBSD
> 8.1-RELEASE or the em(4) driver which would cause it to cache MAC
> addresses / ARP entries for hosts on a per-protocol basis?
>
> [snipping remaining details; readers can read it here instead:]
> [http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-March/061908.html]

The only thing I can think of would be flowtable, but I'm not sure
if it's enabled by default on 8.1-RELEASE-p2.  You can try the following
sysctl to disable it (I would recommend setting this in sysctl.conf and
rebooting; I don't know what happens in the case you set it on a live
system that's already experiencing the MAC issue you describe).

net.inet.flowtable.enable=0

Details:

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2009/workshops/presto/papers/p37.pdf

--