Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:01:14 GMT
From:      tom@eborcom.com (Tom Hukins)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cant get ess1868 plug n play sound card working

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 02:14:37 -0700 (PDT), Doug White wrote:

>On Sun, 5 Jul 1998, vega vega wrote:
>
>> when i used the luigi driver it told me at boot time:
>>
>> This is an ESS1868, but LDN 1 is disabled
>
>Go into your BIOS setup and set the PnP OS option to `No' or `BIOS Setup'.
>This was the magic to get it recognized on my Toshiba.

Thanks to the tips from Doug and others I've managed to get my
ESS 1868 recognised and (almost) working with FreeBSD.

I have changed my BIOS settings, modified MAKEDEV as recommended
in posts to freebsd-questions, and run "MAKEDEV snd1".

I can play CDs and audio files, but sound only comes out of the
right speaker. The left speaker is silent. I am running FreeBSD
Stable built from a 5th July 1998 CVSup.

When playing MOD sound files (using the s3mod port) and running
X, the X display goes fuzzy. I don't know whether both problems
are related.

Relevant dmesg output:

Probing for PnP devices:
CSN 1 Vendor ID: ESS1868 [0x68187316] Serial 0xffffffff
ESS1868 (rev 11)
pcm1 (ESS1868 <ESS1868> sn 0xffffffff) at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags
0x0 id 14

Relevant kernel configuration:

controller	pnp0
device		pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq ? drq ? flags 0x0
vector pcmintr
[Note: the device line above has been wrapped by my newsreader -
it appears as just one line in my config]

Someone posted to freebsd-questions with a similar problem on
14th June. No replies were sent to the list. I have written to
him privately - he has yet to solve this problem.

Thanks for reading,
Tom

--
       Learn how to create amazing web sites

     Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources
          http://www.eborcom.com/webmaker/