Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:42:48 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Pagaime?= <jpsp@fccn.pt>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RIP and 2 NICs - redundancy?

Hello all,

I would like my servers to have two NICs and
be able to switch from one to other if there's
something wrong with IP connectivity to the world
(not the presence or absense of physical link) on one
interface.

On the subject IP networks I have available, the routers
annouce the default route through RIP.  The host has
a RIP process and that“s all working fine: it does acquire
a working default route automatically.

The host has 2 NICs with 2 different IP address from the
same network. So, in practice, it has 2 routes to the
same gateway, but only one is in use at a given particular
time.

The problem is: If I disconnect the NIC that“s being
used to reach the gateway, and after a while, the host
doesn't begin to prefer to use the other NIC...  The problem,
I suspect, is that the routes continue to reach the RIP
process (through the working NIC) and it doesn“t really
care from what NIC does the information come from, and so,
it doesn't introduce a penality (by timing out) on the route
of the "broken" NIC.

Any ideias?

Thanks for your time,
Joćo