Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 07:59:59 -0800
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFilter will not allow traceroute anymore

On 01/23/2001 there was a change made to IPFilters ip_state.c file. The
change for some reason has cuased tracerouting to stop working when
using the following ruleset:

# Ruleset taken from http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.txt
# Section 7.1

pass in  quick on lo0 all
pass out quick on lo0 all

block in log all
block out all

# This allows for AUTH
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = 113 flags S/SA keep state

#This allows for FTP
pass in quick proto tcp from any port = 20 to any port 39999 >< 45000
flags S/SA
 keep state

pass out quick proto icmp from any to any keep state
pass out quick proto tcp/udp from any to any keep state keep frags

The earlier version of this file had the same problem as well but there
was a patch available that I have been using. With the changes made to
the ip_state.c file this patch no longer applies cleanly. I will attach
the patch as an attatchment to this email.

If I should turn this into a send-pr Just say the word and it will done.

TIA

P.S. An admin who misses his traceroute  ;-)