Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2022 09:22:10 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
To:        Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accessibility in the FreeBSD installer and console

<maciphone2@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>>> Am 07.07.2022 um 19:32 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at =
selasky.org>:
>>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> The only argument I've heard from some non-sighted friends about not =
using FreeBSD natively is that ooh, MacOSX is so cool. It starts =
speaking from the start if I press this and this key. =E2=80=A6=E2=80=A6.
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I would like to shortly introduce myself.
>> I am indispensable  for all your friends and everybody else
>> and yes, I can speak (and I can even hear)-
>> I am the de facto standard for everything audio for Apple users and I =
even can=20
>> make users of other OSes very very happy.
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Am 08.07.2022 um 12:53 schrieb Hans Petter Selasky <hps at =
selasky.org>:
>>> Hi,
>>> Here is the complete patch for Voice-Over in the FreeBSD console:
>>>=20
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D35754
>>>=20
>>> You need to install espeak from pkg and then install the =
/etc/devd/accessibility.conf file and then run sysctl =
kern.vt.accessibility.enable=3D1 after booting the new kernel.
>>>=20
>>> It is freaking awesome!
>>>=20
>>> There might be some bugs, but it worked fine for me!
>>>=20
>>> =E2=80=94HPS
>>=20
>> Congratulations !=20
>>=20
>> But while reading the docs of your system`s bluetooth drivers I =
became a bit afraid=20
>> that I won=E2=80=99t be fully supported , I hope this is unfounded.
>>=20
>> It=E2=80=99s not only that I=E2=80=99m a shiny white culty thing ..
>> your friends can leave me in their ears and can simultaneously hear =
the surroundings AND the Audio output.
>> That=E2=80=99s why I=E2=80=99m indispensable=E2=80=A6
>>=20
>> Will you ensure that at least one bt-chip will support me in your =
system and will you=20
>> care for the corresponding drivers?
>>=20
>> If yes I would be happy to meet you in your VT-console ,
>>=20
>> And when you later even support vice versa:=20
>> -SpeechToText- ,
>> It=E2=80=99s possible that we become friends for life .
>>=20
>>=20
>> Best Regards,
>> yours=20
>>=20
>> AirPodsPro  :-)=20
>=20

Hi,

> But why would you ever leave your family that was designed from the =
ground up to match you and any need you could potentially have?

Of course : home sweet home.. but after these pandemic times, you're =
always happy to receive invitations from other families.
I=E2=80=99m nearly sure that HPS voiceOver invitation to his =
Macuser-friends will be a successful event if e.g. me, the AirPods Pro=20=

Would have been supported by a boot-script or similar by default, just a =
suggestion , and I am supported by many OSes, not only that from my =
creator.

> And why would you not share any word your "owner" (the person who =
spent money on you, so they could use you) says with your creator and =
all its connected systems and entities, so that they could be fully =
analyzed and monetized?

my current owner doesn't like being reminded that he doesn=E2=80=99t own =
much which could be monetized :-)

>=20
> -m

yours AirPods Pro
>=20
> p.s. seriously, if you want the full Apple experience, you really =
should stay within their ecosystem. Trying to compete with that (with =
all its questionable implications in terms of digital sovereignty) is =
pointless, especially if you are neither broke nor care too much about =
privacy. If these things mean nothing to you, just buy the off the shelf =
solution and save the time that tinkering with free alternatives (that =
will never be as smooth as "the real thing") would require and spend it =
on things that mean something to you (friends, family, charity).

p.s. (not everything strictly seriously;-).  ,  what you say about the =
full Apple experience applies to many (Desktop) Macusers but,  well, =
some years ago Apple cut out every integrated OpenSource web services =
and other services  from MacOS Server (for good reasons) and left Mac =
administrators alone with these always buggy OpenSource Operating =
Systems, then you get used to these free tinker alternatives. and after =
a while you even feel comfortably  at the vfs_ mount root-prompt, just =
to type in a question mark short before panic :-) =E2=80=A6=20
I assume that HPS` VoiceOver port to FreeBSD is  dedicated to Mac =
addicts=20
And because of that :  Isn=E2=80=99t it more =E2=80=9Eprivacy" with the =
AirPods Pro for this usecase  than with e.g. USB-speakers where =
everybody around can hear what comes out ;-)
=20
K.

..thanks for writing and of course I leave this thread now because I =
know this is a technical mailing list, and not suitable for =
philosophizing, but nevertheless very  interesting and thumbs up for HPS =
VoiceOver project