Date:      Thu, 04 May 2000 09:31:58 PDT
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bag recommendations. . .

Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> Possibly not the most technical of threads ever to appear on -mobile,
> but can anyone recommend a good laptop bag?

     Here's what I use -- and it's one that does not look like boring,
men-in-black, military-issue gear, with "steal me" written all over it
(see the big caveat below, though):

	http://www.llbean.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=14955&cgmenbr=1&parentCategory=3897&shop_method=pp&sc1=SHOP&sc2=Sporting_Gear_Apparel&sc3=Camping_Hiking_Gear&sc4=Backpacks&sc5=Campus_Packs&itm=Campus_Computer_Organizer_Leather_Bottom&BI=30&MG=49&DC=15&SC=10&MC=10

However, I don't know about the availability in the UK; they do have a
phone number for ordering from the UK, though, and so that may be a good
sign.  The backpack's very roomy (the main compartment is around twice
the size of the laptop compartment), and it's pretty well-designed.  The
shoulder straps are well padded (and have bits of anti-slip material on
them), and there's even a padded carrying handle at the top.  I like the
way the laptop compartment is NOT against my back (the larger, main,
compartment is), but some people may not.  Best of all, it does NOT look
like a laptop bag, and the price is reasonable (US$69 -- US$59 if you
get the non-leather version).  It's a bit big as book backpacks go,
though.

     However, one caveat is that the laptop compartment is on the small
side (see the web site for dimensions).  I have a Dell Inspiron 7500
laptop, which is among the larger monsters out there, and my Dell does
not (technically) fit into the laptop compartment.  However, by putting
the laptop sideways into the compartment, I can get it to "fit".
Unfortunately, this does means that only around 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the
laptop is in the padded laptop sleeve, and the rest of the laptop isn't
really "protected".  However, this doesn't bother me because the
"unprotected" part is at the top of the backpack, and I'm fairly careful
with how I carry it, even in airports (also, I'm usually not in
situations where the backpack gets banged around a lot).  This will be a
problem for some people, though.

     I once weighted my backpack w/laptop & junk, and it came out to
be over 25lbs (11.3kg).  I could never carry this with a shoulder bag.

     If the above link doesn't work, do the following:

	Go to the home page: http://www.llbean.com

	On the left menu bar, click on: "Sporting Gear & Apparel"

	Under "Camping & Hiking Gear", click on: "Backpacks"

	Under the "Backpacks" column (second from the left), click on:
		"Campus Packs".

	Click on the link titled, "Campus Computer Organizer, Leather
		Bottom".

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com