Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:32:05 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        yoav@bnt.co.il
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting CDrom

yoav@bnt.co.il writes:
 +---------------
 | Hi,
 |
 | I'm having problems with mounting my cdrom. It's a simple x24 IDE
 | cdrom. I've tried consulting the online documentation but still
 | didn't work for me.
 |
 | By the way, I'm new to FreeBSD :)
 |
 | Thanks,
 | Yoav
 +---------------
Be sure that your system is detecting drive properly.  You should see
something like

    wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <FX810T4/a03>, removable, intr, dma, iordis
    acd0: drive speed 1377KB/sec, 256KB cache
    acd0: supported read types: CD-DA
    acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
    acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
    acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm audio disc loaded, unlocked

In the output from dmesg.

Next be sure that you can read from the drive. As root try

    cat /dev/wcd0c | od -c  | head -100

You should get 100 lines of garbage flying across the screen.

If this fails make sure that there is a device file for the cdrom

    cd /dev
    ./MAKEDEV wcd0

Now the command

    mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt

should make it available in the /mnt directory.

If this all works then put a line like this:

    /dev/wcd0c  /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto  0 0

In /etc/fstab (if it is not already there). Then unmount /mnt and remount at
/cdrom:

    unount /mnt
    mount /cdrom

Good luck