Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:38:27 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   HotSpot progress report

Hey Folks,

I've been working on various platform dependent parts of HotSpot and
have made a lot of progress both piecing together the various non-portable
parts and getting a clear mental image of how the VM threading systems
works. I've got most of those files compiling cleanly with some left overs
with (1) signal delivery per thread and (2) thread stack redzones.

With:

1) Read the pthreads implemenation of signal delivery (i'm doing that
   now) and see how Solaris signaling conventions map over to FreeBSD's
   stuff semantically. It's bit scary since signals are kind of an
   amorpheous thingy, but I'm still keeping my head above the water.

2) Stack red-zoning with funky mmap/mprotect trickery and alignment.
   Which, BTW, I'm thinking about ignoring.

Only a handful of compile time errors are left in the platform dependent
parts and the rest are pretty superficial. This is a good thing and implies
that a kind of "smoke test" might be coming soon. Cross your fingers on
that one.

There are other things that I have to still worry about it's interrupt
and callback framework, but I have most of threading system clearly
understood and it's being worked out pretty automatically with a kind
of coding unconsciousness that's rare in my personal history with this
project.

This is a good sign. We'll see.

bill