Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:54:21 +0100
From:      Markus Grundmann <grundmann@s2m.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   A little problem with FreeBSD 3.0 RELEASE

Hello!
( My english is not so good to describe my little problem with the freebsd
installation )
OK

My Example:

when you make a telnet session to my server "ns1.earth.s2m.net" you see the
following screen:

 / (ns1.earth.s2m.net) (ttyxx)

login:

This is my webserver on a asus motherboard and a AMD K6-2 400 cpu installed.
The bsd kernel is compiled
for a 586 processor serie. On my dual processor system (based on intel
pentium ii processors) the bsd tty
reports at the login screen:

FreeBSD/i386 (host.domain.org) (ttyxx)

login:

Where is the problem? Can FreeBSD not determine the platform on running it?!
The kernel reports at ipl : a AMD K6-CPU (586 cpu-class serie) is installed.

The CPUID 0x58c of AMD cpu is not entered in the identcpu.h (e.g.) source
file. It thats the problem?

What can i do?  The original generic kernel from the cdrom have the same
problem.

Markus Grundmann
Germany.