Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 1995 14:53:14 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: "Sparse" files?

On Sun, 5 Mar 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Do we have any support for the likes of Linux's sparse files?  Patrick
> here says it saves around 25% for executables alone when run-length
> compression is done for zero'd blocks.

    I thought ffs could already compress sparse files?  Apple II ProDOS
does this, but it isn't strictly "compression".  I think it simply
doesn't bother to allocate disk blocks for any that are completed filled
with null bytes.  There's no performance hit, and this is on floppy-bound
1-MHz //e's and //c's... :)
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org