Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 02:05:22 +0100
From:      John <news@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help installing modem

In article <358C966A.7F06@intranet.ca>, gerard <ser@intranet.ca> writes
>Hi,
>
>I have an internal modem (HSP 336-DELUXE)installed on COM4 (in Win95).
>My newly installed FreeBSD 226-REL doesn't probe it at /dev/cuaa3. After
>[-c], I receive the message: sio3 not found. Even at ppp, the message:
>/dev/cuaa3 not configured.

This modem is not only plug'n'pray , it is also, if memory serves me
correctly, a winmodem. It requires device drivers to run under windows.
It may not run under any other OS because it is device driver dependent.
My advice to you is to go out and buy a 'real' modem.
The reason freebsd fails to see it is that it needs the device driver in
order to do that, and the device driver is written for windows....

>By the way, is FreeBSD user friendly?

yes, it's just choosy who its friends are :-)

To reply via email please use news-reply at i-zone dot demon dot co dot
uk. Hitting 'reply-to' will cause it to bounce on the SMTP envelope.
You have spammers and email harvesters to thank for this. Sorry.