Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:13:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com (Guido van Rooij)
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: blowfish passwords in FreeBSD

Warner Losh wrote:

> OpenBSD just committed a new encryption method using blowfish.  This
> has a much larger salt space as well as a much harder to break
> encryption scheme.  Preliminary indications are that it looks really
> good.  They implemented this much like md5, but with its own code.
>
> I think we should bring this into FreeBSD.  What do others think?

It depends. I would very much like it to be compatible with the
OpenBSD stuff. Did they adapt the $<n>$ scheme and allocate a new number?

Further, I think we should not adapt to every new password scheme around.
It would make the password system unecessarily complex as we will
have to support every scheme simultaneously. So perhaps first a close
look at the new stuff should be taken.

-Guido