Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:10:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeremy <shaman_spirit@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error using SSMTP

Hi,

I installed ssmtp from ports to take the place of sendmail.  I've never
successfully gotten sendmail configured, but I use ssmtp happily on
Linux.  I was wondering what I need to do or change in order to get
ssmtp to work.  When I try to send an email (trying simply just with
'mail' first), I get this error:

bash-2.05$ send-mail: can't open the smtp port (25) on mail.

I know that rc.conf has to have the sendmail_enable="YES" in it for
using sendmail, but do I need to do something like this for ssmtp?

Any insight or pointers would be great.

Please CC: me as I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
Jeremy