Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 15:17:58 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wanted: Example tar files

Tim Kientzle wrote:
> In order to test bsdtar's automatic format detection and
> support for variant tar formats, I'm looking for sample
> archives generated by a variety of tar programs.

By popular demand, I've created a shell script that
builds a directory with a variety of interesting
and unusual things in it.  The script is called
"TarTest.sh" and it can be downloaded from:

http://people.freebsd.org/~kientzle/libarchive/src/

Note that this script does some pretty obscure and
sometimes unpleasant things.  Expect to do a
little editing to get it to work on your system,
and expect to experiment a bit with tar options
to try to find a way to get your tar program to
archive as many of the details as possible.

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Tim Kientzle