Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:00:03 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   clarification regarding gensetdefs update

Some of you may have noticed the recent commits I made to
src/usr.bin/gensetdefs/gensetdefs.c on the RELENG_4_7 and RELENG_4_8
security branches (revisions 1.4.12.1 and 1.4.14.1, respectively).  I
would like to clarify the purpose and impact of these commits, in case
anybody is wondering whether they should update their systems.

The modified file contained several multi-line string literals written
in a style which was understood by older versions of GCC, but is no
longer supported in GCC 3.2.  Since gensetdefs(8) is a build tool, it
needs to be compiled with the host system's toolchain.  This means
that it was previously not possible to build a 4.7 or 4.8 world on a
system with GCC 3.2, such as FreeBSD 5.2 or 5-CURRENT.

The only purpose of these commits was to allow building 4.7 and 4.8
worlds on 5.x systems, to facilitate our QA process.  There is no
functional change, and in fact the binaries generated before and after
the commit are identical byte by byte.  There is no need for anyone to
update their 4.7 or 4.8 systems as a result of these commits.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no