Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:00:44 -0700
From:      "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:38:36AM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

> I have cut the SCSI timeout way down, and it massively shortens the boot
> time.  I'll have to do the same for the IDE stuff, since I *do* have an
> ATAPI CDROM (otherwise I'd just shut off the device completely).

Hmmm... one thing I've noted on my 3.0-elf/cam box:
When I boot, the SCSI system detects the SCSI disk and
zip drive right off, but the SCSI CDROM isn't detected
right away.  If there's a disk in it, it comes up a line
or two later, but if it's empty, I don't get the line
reporting the presence/specs/etc of the CDROM until
well after the system has finished booting, and multi-user
mode has started up...

Any ideas what causes this?  OR is this just the way it is?