Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:38:00 +1300
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        "Haifeng Guo" <haifeng@ms.lawton.com.cn>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server setup

> Hi guy:
>
> I have a problem , The e-mail user of our server have over 100000 ,so I want
> to devide the user into several server and the e-mail addrees keep same (for
> example: all user have the xxxx@lawton.com.cn ) any suggestion thank a lots

Firstly, I should say that I don't have experience of mail servers handling
that volume.

sendmail's virtusertable stuff will split mail out however you tell it to.
I'm not sure whether you can set up multiple SMTP servers with the same
priority in the MX records.  Otherwise you can multiplex your domain name out
to multiple IPs.

I don't imagine you really want to have to organise 100,000 users into
changing their pop server settings.  You can probably multiplex your domain
name out to multiple machines all connecting via NFS (probably a dedicated
mini-network between the servers), and have all of your mail stored on one
file system.

There was a fairly detailed discussion of a setup like this on freebsd-isp
last year.  It would be well worth finding that discussion in the archives.

Andrew McNaughton