Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:04:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        francois laurand <francois.laurand@epita.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why XFree sources don't go in /usr/src ?

Quite.

Only 1 out of 4 FreeBSD boxes here at my home have XFree86 on them, it's
not an essential; except for those who require a GUI, which doesnt qualify
it for inclusion in the FreeBSD base system.

You'll discover over time that the attitude of the FreeBSD core is a major
reason behind the success of FreeBSD among those who really appreciate
UNIX for what it is (imho).  At the end of the day, the base system does
it's job, and does it well - and that's what matters.  Anything after that
is non essential; and does not complement the goal of the operating
system.

In other UNIX like operating systems, non essential support is added to
the base system at the drop of a hat.  This can sometimes be a
disadvantage to us FreeBSD 'workstation' users, but when I use FreeBSD in
a server situation, I really appreciate it.

Just a little addition from a very (very) happy FreeBSD user :)

Cliff Rowley

| dozprompt@onsea.com | cliff@olive.co.uk   |
| cr@4site-media.com  | cr@soccergen.com    |
| cr@easyphp.net      | cr@beatreatreat.com |