Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 11:53:32 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any one still use UUCP?

In <199805082155.RAA00455@stratos.net>, drifter@stratos.net wrote:

> 	So, is UUCP a dying art?  Is it that some places just don't have
> access to the Internet or an Ethernet, but they can arrange for UUCP?
> Or is there some advantage to UUCP that I am not aware about?

In fact, the copy of your mail I read was tranferred by uucp (over
tcp).

Mail batching is easier and more flexible if you use uucp. The
sendmail queue trick works only if the target machine isn't
reachable. My mail-reading machine is reachable, but every single
connect costs 12 Pfennig (Germany...), so I batch manually, while a
"real" tcp sendmail would contact my machine verytime a mail
@freebsd.org arrives.

Also, I can easily compress mails, which is a great thing for German
users who pay on a per-megabyte count. Not that it speeds up much for
small mails, but it is cheaper.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer