Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:24:19 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [RFC] Reverting printing of ${CONFIGURE_LOG} when configure script fails

Hi,

Being a one of the few maintainers of the GNOME ports I
found that addition of printing of ${CONFIGURE_LOG} when
configure script fails is actually counter productive
(bsd.port.mk rev.1.314), because in 99% of cases the
configure script prints appropriate error message to the
screen only, so this message gets buried under contents of
the config.log (hundred lines, usually) and user actually
never sees it (this is why I have SC_HISTORY_SIZE=1000 in my
kernel config, but this isn't usually a case). This confuses
users and we are getting bombed with false problem reports.
Therefore, I'm proposing to partially revert 1.314,
optionally replacing it with the following error message
(draft):

---
Configure script unexpectedly failed. Please report the
problem to
somebody@somewhere (maintainer) attaching several preceding
this error message lines and contents of the config.log file
located at
/foo/bar/..../ It may also be a good idea to include into
the report list
of all packages installed on your system. Thank you!
---

I would like to hear what people think about it. Please also
feel free to send me a hints on how to improve error message
below, because my English is still too far from perfect.
:(((

-Maxim