Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 21:05:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?B?RmFiaeFuIFNhbGFtYW5jYQ==?= <dhrcorp@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: clustering code

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Fabián Salamanca wrote:

> I'd like to try to develop code (maybe kernel code modifications or
> external modules) for clustering with FreeBSD, but I'd like to see some
> work in order to know where I might get started, I'm thinking 'bout plain
> C and maybe C++ and some shell scripting,

no. That's yucky.

Take a good hard look at what scyld.com has, or go to the source forge and
check out the bproc project. We definitely don't need another ball of
C/C++ + scripts. If you're going to do that then just get OSCAR and port
it to freebsd. But if you want to do something new and interesting you
could get a bproc-like system working on freebsd.

We run two 128-node clusters here with this stuff, and one of them uses
linuxbios, and I have to say it's a total change in the way we do
clusters. Instant cluster boot, no local root disks (local /tmp of
course!), upgrade all the software in < 1 minute, ... it's really nice.

We distribute our stuff via the sourceforge, you can also try
bitkeeper.com. Both are really nice.

ron