Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:18:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        CO DND <aef3@attcanada.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: exposure

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, CO DND wrote:

> I have a questions pertaining to FreeBSD exposure.
> I have not seen or heard to much about FreeBSD. Linux seems to be in the spotlight for now. I have been using Linux for about 2 yrs now and like it alot.
>
> In the information game, there is copious amount of information in the form of HOWTO's and books,  yet BSD has only the one english publication called
> "The Complete FreeBSD"  and no HOWTO's.
>
> Please dont get me wrong, I am not knocking FreeBSD because I bought the
> CD to try but, but wondered why is there just the one book.
>
> So far I have installed FreeBSD 3.1 successfully and now in the stage of
> config. Every is the same but different compared to Linux if you know what
> I mean.

The sour grapes but somewhat true answer:

HOWTOs aren't that great, instead of a user learning how to make the most
out of a program, they are told how to do the most simplistic tasks with
such program.  They are akin to the "dummies" books and don't make
"power users" out of anyone.  Not only that but there is a plethora(sp?)
of information available in man pages and info documents.

A different and also true answer:

FreeBSD just doesn't have the userbase to create such documents, the
FreeBSD 'culture' assumes a certain amount of 'do it yourself'-ness.
One of the things that hurts FreeBSD is that it doesn't cater to the
newbie and/or ex-MSDOS user, it assumes a bit of unix knowledge.

And lastly, many many linux howtos can be easily applied to FreeBSD
as they share a lot of the userland utilities (add-ons).  Duplicate
work just isn't worth it.

If you are truly concerned about such material being available
for FreeBSD users, please respond and I'll show you how to properly
submit documents for inclusion on www.freebsd.org (you'll get credit)

-Alfred