Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 16:17:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   AAARGH. Was: Re: DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Chris Dillon wrote:

> Sh~t.  Now I'm seeing a hang, but its hanging even on a
> pre-interrupt-routing kernel I kept.  Its completing the boot, and
> getting all the way to a login prompt, but it hangs solid just a
> few seconds after that.  The BIOS upgrade must have caused it. :-(

OK... this hang is really weird.  Everything is fine as long as I stay
in single-user mode. I can ifconfig interfaces, run cvsup, etc.  But
just seconds after booting multi-user and getting the login prompt,
the system hangs solid.  I've tried old 4.3 GENERIC kernels, recent
kernels, all the same.  I've removed everything imaginable from the
startup sequence.  Nothing in /usr/local/etc/rc.d starting up, nothing
on rc.local, I even somehow managed to accidentally delete rc.conf and
still it hangs on boot.  Made up a new rc.conf with everything
disabled that usually gets turned on by default.  Even took out all of
the tweaks in sysctl.conf.  No go.  Anyone else seeing this on a
Compaq or any other box?

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet