Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 11:07:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
To:        shocking@prth.pgs.com (Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth)
Cc:        shocking@bandicoot.prth.tensor.pgs.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patched RealTek driver -- please test

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Stephen
Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth had to walk into mine and say:

> OK - I've banged on the new version with  extra debug messages and it still
> locks up, but without any messages!

Grr.

> I can only conclude that the 486MB BIOS is
> iffy. I haven't tried any other slots in the MB, but have tried various PCI
> settings, all to no avail. I have swapped the de0 and the rl0 between
> machines, and the rl0 is happy in it's new home - hasn't fallen over, although
> it's netpipe performance sucks with very small packets. I think we can write
> this one off as a faulty PCI implementation on the 486 motherboard. Thanks for
> your patience & time.

I have one more thing you can try for me (I hope it's not too much trouble
to put the NIC back where it was). This latest test version has a small
change to rl_start() which modifies the transmit behavior: instead of
trying to fill up as many transmit 'descriptors' as possible, it should
never be possible now to have more than one transmission in progress at
any one time. That is, instead of trying to fill up all four TX
'descriptors' and issue four transmissions in rapid succession and then
waiting to clean up the buffers later, it issues a single transmission,
waits for completion, then issues another transmission, waits for
completion, and so on.

This will probably worsen performance at 100Mbps, but it would be
interesting to see if it fixes your problem. Please try it and let me
know what happens. (I left the loop detection code in place just for
giggles.)

-Bill