Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:19:07 +0000
From:      Alex Drummond <alex@abingdon74.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling kernel module

Hi,

I'm trying to get a dummy PCI driver module to compile (code mostly taken=
 from=20
the FreeBSD developer's handbook), and I've run into a problem with a cou=
ple=20
of header files. I include the file <sys/buf.h>, and it includes the=20
following two preprocessor directives:

#include "device_if.h"
#include "bus_if.h"

At the moment I'm compiling this module (main source file called fb.c) in=
 my=20
home directory using the following Makefile:

----------
# Makefile for the skeleton module

SRCS =3D fb.c
KMOD =3D fb

=2Einclude <bsd.kmod.mk>
----------

The makefile seems to automatically create an '@' directory linking to=20
/usr/src/sys, but the two headers device_if.h and bus_if.h do not appear =
in=20
this directory alongside buf.h, so there is a preprocessing error in bus.=
h.=20
After a bit of diggging, I found that device_if.h and bus_if.h could be f=
ound =20
a few directories further in form /usr/src/sys/compile/XXX/......, so my=20
question is, how should I set up my Makefile, etc. to allow me to build m=
y=20
little module?

Btw, I can compile a custom kernel no problem, so I don't think my kernel=
=20
sources have got messed up.

thanks,
Alex