Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2016 05:27:17 +1100
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [HEADS-UP] portscout now works with Ports using GitHub

Dear Porters/Maintainers,

An hour or so ago, an updated version of portscout was deployed that
finally fixes detection of updates for ports using USE_GITHUB=yes

For more information on the fix, and the original commit adding support
for GitHub detection, and it's limitations, see:

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3996 - Original support
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D4780 - Fixed detection

This email is just to notify all MAINTAINERS that receive email
notifications from portscout of the following:

* The detection uses GitHub releases, if they exist, or repository tags
as a fallback

* Due to the infinite number of repository tagging schemes, some that
don't match PORTVERSIONS, or look like version numbers at all, the
detection logic is imperfect.

* The version displayed on on the frontend https://portscout.FreeBSD.org
for github ports is the 'tag' that was matched, not the PORTVERSION you
should update to. I wanted to keep the initial changes very contained,
so avoided any template updates. We may change this in the future.

* There will be false-positives, but we'll attempt to address them once
they are identified. For example, so that have already been seen:

Port        | Current version | New version
irc/insub   | 16.0            | initial
net/6tunnel | 0.11rc2.20130525| 0.11rc1

Having said that, most of these CAN be resolved by having the upstream
authors tag their repositories 'properly', that is with version numbers.

If you notice anything strange or broken, or would like to get involved
in improving portscout in any way, please join #freebsd-ports on
freenode IRC, or #bsdports on Efnet.

--
Koobs