Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:15:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      natedac@kscable.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/25912: X 4.0.2 causes kernel panic

>Number:         25912
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       XFree86 4.0.2 as built from ports causes kernel panic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

System: FreeBSD piccolo 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA #1: Fri Mar 16 16:32:20
CST 2001
natedac@piccolo.daconcepts.dyndns.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/PICCOLO i386

IBM Aptiva - 550 MHz Athlon, 96M RAM, Number Nine SR9 (with
Savage4 chipset) attempting to run X 4.0.2.

As built from the current ports tree, XFree86 4.0.2 causes my machine to
kernel-panic and reboot, before it ever switches to graphics mode,
regardless of the driver in use (vesa, vga, and savage drivers tested).

3.3.6 seems to work fine, however it lacks hardware accelleration support
for this video device, or the video device itself lacks any accelleration.

>How-To-Repeat:

You'll most likely need to try this on an Aptiva to reproduce the bug.
CVSup to FreeBSD 4.3, install X 4.0.1 or 4.0.2, and configure it for your
video card, use VESA. VGA, or Savage as the driver.

>Fix:

Beats me - use 3.3.6, it seems stable enough, but it doesn't fully support
my video card's chipset (no hardware accelleration) or my chipset sucks
:-)