Date:      Tue, 2 May 2006 18:24:06 +0200
From:      Paolo Pisati <p.pisati@oltrelinux.com>
To:        Iasen Kostov <tbyte@otel.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD_Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [6.x patchset] Ipfw nat and libalias modules

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:38:35PM +0300, Iasen Kostov wrote:
> Have you done any performace comparisons with pf's NAT ? I realy would
> prefer libalias based kernel NAT than pf because libalias works better
> with ftp, irc dcc and things like that (VoIP would be nice too :P ). So
> the only reason I've not put it in production is because its to new and
> untested but as soon as I upgrade mine home to 6.x router I'll test it
> more extensivly.

no performance comparison (at least not yet), but i don't
expect NAT to be a real bottleneck. Anyway, if we find
it's dead slow, i'll fix it :)

> Btw what is the status of the multi-session to the same
> point PPTP NAT (e.g call ID tracking) ?

i didn't modify the protocol specific nat support, so
it's just like with natd.

btw a brave guy (Hi Patrick! :) switched 4 boxes
(i386 and amd64, UP and SMP) from natd to ipfw's nat and
everything went smooth, except for a little bug that i'm
tracking down... sounds good to me! :)

bye
--

Paolo

"le influenze esterne sono troppe, il mondo reale non e' mica
quello fatato dei komunisti :-p" - Anonymous Lumbard