Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 96 05:03:43 EST
From:      sreid@edmbbs.iceonline.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP server setup

I'm trying to set up pppd to accept dial-in ppp users, but I can't get
it to work... I can dial in, but I can't get a ppp connection. Sometimes
pppd dumps core.

I've followed the instructions in the handbook and man pages, and I
can't seem to get anywhere. I've also searched the mailing list
archives, but there's mostly questions there, with very few answers.

I'm certain that the modem is set up to auto-answer correctly. I use the
modem connected to sio0 (com1) to log in, and the modem on sio1 (com2)
is set up exactly the same way, except the ttyd1 line in /etc/ttys is
set to off. I would like to set them both up to accept incoming ppp
connections, but for now I'm only setting up the modem on sio1. The sio0
modem I use to dial-in so that I can work from home.

It's not entirely clear how pppd should be invoked. The example in the
handbook uses the device tty00, but I can find no such device... I
assume it's a leftover from an older version of FreeBSD. I've tried
using ttyd1 and cuaa1. ttyd1 is fairly consistent, producing this
message in the /var/log/messages file:

Mar  1 17:03:58 kirk pppd[306]: pppd 2.1.2 started by steve, uid 0
Mar  1 17:04:45 kirk pppd[306]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyd1
Mar  1 17:04:48 kirk pppd[306]: input: Unknown protocol (c025) received!
Mar  1 17:04:48 kirk /kernel: pid 306: pppd: uid 0: exited on signal 11

The above was created when I invoked pppd like so:
 while true; do pppd /dev/ttyd1 115200 -detach; done
>From the user end, it just drops carrier right after the modems connect.

Trying cuaa1 instead of ttyd1, the results are a lot less consistant...
It'll dump core at (what appear to be) completely random times. Once it
said that the serial device was not 8-bit clean. From the user end, it
connects, and just sits there. The log usually looks like this:

Mar  1 17:15:44 kirk pppd[346]: pppd 2.1.2 started by steve, uid 0
Mar  1 17:15:44 kirk pppd[346]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cuaa1
Mar  1 17:16:14 kirk pppd[346]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

The server I'm trying to set up is a FreeBSD 2.1 machine, with two
external Cardinal 28.8 modems. The com ports (sio0 and sio1) have
16550AF UARTs. The machine is connected to our local ethernet, and our
ethernet will soon be connected to the Internet by way of a Cisco
router.

I've tried compiling a kernel with and without the GATEWAY option, as
well as with and without the ARP_PROXYALL option. The pppd docs suggest
that I need the proxyarp option in pppd's optons file, but whenever I
try to use it, it dumps core every time a connection is attempted.

I've been working on this for hours without getting anywhere, and I've
run out of ideas. I would appreciate any advice, example config files,
or anything else that might help.