Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2004 02:47:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      jsd@jdyson.com
To:        grog@FreeBSD.org (Greg 'groggy' Lehey)
Cc:        Stephen McKay <smckay@internode.on.net>
Subject:   Gratuitious controversy isn't a good thing!!!

Greg 'groggy' Lehey said:
> On Friday,  2 January 2004 at 15:25:22 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> > I've finally had to edit the fortunes file to remove stuff that is so bad
> > that I physically cringe whenever I see it.  No matter how I try, I just
> > can't see the funny side of it.  Yes, it's in the "potentially obscene"
> > section, alongside the funniest stuff in the fortunes database.  But there
> > are limits.
> >
> > Anyway, today I added a new patch to my list of essential FreeBSD fixes:
> > I deleted everything by Rush Limbaugh.  That guy just can't do humour.  It
> > doesn't work as satire, or even parody.  It's just awful.
> >
> > Would anybody object if I commited this one?
>
> I think the answer would have to be "yes".  Though I personally agree
> with you about its usefulness, the whole thing about the potentially
> offensive fortunes is, of course, that they might offend.  Somebody
> else might like them.  I don't think that anybody should play censor
> here.

Just my two cents:

	(This isn't meant to be the 'meat' of the
	discussion, but meant as something that
	will make my suggestion of removing
	controversial material more clear!!!)

	I don't find Rush to be offensive, but I find
	that the politically potty mouthed Al Franken
	to be incredibly rude.  (Note that this isn't
	meant to be the beginning of a discussion, but
	as someone who respects Rush, this is meant to
	clarify my reason for STRONGLY SUGGESTING that
	Rush's and other divisive quotes be removed.)

	It isn't 'good' to provide balance by adding
	more politically charged comments, because it
	only creates more hurt feelings for more
	politically sensitive individuals.  Perhaps it might
	be okay to leave-in a humorous insult against
	Mao, Stalin or Hitler -- because few people would
	find humor at their expense to be offensive.
	However, humor about/against current political
	figures might be a bad idea.

	I really don't believe that political controversy
	of this kind is a good thing for FreeBSD.  There
	is enough controversy WRT the GPL thing, or various
	'personality' troubles might be divisive enough
	already.  Gratuitiously including unrelated
	politically controversial stuff is mostly
	counterproductive for FreeBSD, and cannot even
	benefit the advocacy that portrays the humor.  It
	only HURTS everyone involved!!!

	Since someone has shown that they are uncomfortable
	with quotes from Rush, and the marginal loss to
	the project by removing the quotes is nil, I
	STRONGLY suggest that current potentially DIVISIVE
	political humor be removed.  If there is humor
	from pundits like Franken, Rush, Coulter, Carville,
	then it should be expunged unless it is politically
	benign.

	Mature friends can disagree on political issues,
	and there are times to discuss these issues, but
	it would be unfortunate to develop any grudges.
	The upcoming political season will be especially
	unpleasant, and it is best to avoid offending
	FreeBSD collaborators and/or lose project
	friendships.

	John