Date:      Tue, 09 Dec 1997 08:26:49 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible problem with ftpd 6.00

I've made a port for Marcus Ranum's aftpd following a thread that took
place in -security over recent days. An extract from that thread is
included at the end.

I have three questions. I'll call them [A], [B] and [C] to allow for
zero-quoted reply. ;-)

[A] Ownership

It currently installs aftpd into ${PREFIX}/libexec owned by bin:bin .
The ownership doesn't seem to matter much because:

1) it's called from inetd and run as root

2) it needs root priveledge to chroot into /home/ftp

3) it does set{gu}id to ftp:operator as soon as the chroot is done

Should I be pedantic and install with different ownership?

[B] Compiled defaults

As per mjr's recommendation in the README file, I've hardcoded the
desired ftp chroot dir into the binary. It can still be overrided using
command line options (mjr's concerns about passing arguments from inetd
don't apply to FreeBSD's inetd).

Is /home/ftp a religiously sound default?

Also, is it acceptable for me to use UID 14 and GID 5 for ftp:operator
or should I be getting a script to dig those numbers out of /etc/* at
the configure stage?

[C] Source patch review

A small change to the source was required for building on 2.2-RELENG
(untested on -CURRENT).  From my understanding of the philosophy behind
C, I've done the right thing. but I have no programming experience to
validate my whim.

What is the best way for me to have the change I've made to the source
code reviewed prior to port submission?

Thanks for your time,
Sheldon.

Then sthaug@nethelp.no replied thusly: