Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:39:28 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS FHs, what are they (how are they made?)

I was previously under the impression that a NFS FH was basically a
concatenation of a device # and an inode #.  This was shot down earlier today.
The problem was that a disk had failed and we where doing a replacement (the
new disk was not identical to the old, it was substantially larger).  I
proceeded to format it so that the old fstab entry would work with the new
drive (that is the NFS exported partition would be called /dev/wd1s1h --
same device number, no?)  I then used dump/restore to ensure that the
inode numbers would remain the same.  Making to further changes I shut down
the machine, swapped in the new drive and brought the system back up.  The
new drive was mounted faithfully by the old fstab.  Yet I now see
"Stale NFS Handle"s on my clients.  What did I do wrong?

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall