Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:44:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      David Marsh <drmarsh@bigfoot.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Users <freebsd-users@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   trn and leafnode subscribe me to all newsgroups once a week

I'm trying to read news using trn (v3.6) and leafnode (v1.19, I think)
as a local news-server, on my FreeBSD box (running 2.2.5)

This setup seems to work reasonably well, although once a week, or
thereabouts, whenever the 'newsrc checking' period loops over, I end up
being subscribed to *every* newsgroup when the new list of newsgroups
is checked. This is more than slightly annoying as I then have to delete
the entries for every newsgroup that I'm not interested in from the
/var/spool/news/interesting.groups/ directory, otherwise leafnode's
'fetch' will then go to collect articles from all of them.. :-(

Does anybody know what is causing this behaviour?
I don't know whether it's trn or leafnode that seems to be at fault,
and I seem unable to read news using Netscape to check if it is
leafnode at fault (although Netscape picks up my personal .newsrc
contents, if I try to open a group I get 'Syntax error' every time)

Does anybody know what steps I have to take to stop this behaviour from
occurring, so that the only news fetched from the remote server is in
the groups I've actually asked for?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

---
David Marsh,drmarsh@bigfoot.comPLEX | http://squelch.home.ml.org/      |
Glasgow/Glaschu, Scotland.         *If urgent, phone: +44 141 400-0577*|