Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:16:45 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.via-net-works.net.ar>
To:        durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us (Jim Durham)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP with firewall rules

What I have done is to configure FTPd to use ports between 40000 and
44999 (wu-ftpd allows it to be done easily; don't know others) and then:

allow tcp from any to my_ip 40000-44999 in setup

It's not the best, but still better than nothing.

Anyway, remember that on passive FTP the client opens a TCP con. from
>1024 to 21 and, the servers picks a port (in the mentioned range in
this case), tells it to the client and then the client connects from
>1024 to this port.

Port 20 is using in normal FTP: the client connects from >1024 to 21
and the server connects from >1024 to 20 on the client for the data
connection.

(Warning: this is from the top of my head, I don't have "Building
Internet FWs" or similar around right now.)

Regards!

En un mensaje anterior, Jim Durham escribió:
> I'm looking for some input on how to set up
> FTP through an IPFW firewall so that you don't
> have to run passive mode.
>
> Passive mode makes things like building ports difficult.
>
> I believe that the problem is that the return connection
> set up by an FTP server to the client comes from port 20.
> To open up "any 20" to high port numbers on your
> system seems like a problem to me. Is there a secure
> way to do this?

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administración de la red
VIA NET.WORKS ARGENTINA S.A.