Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:28:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Musings about tracking FreeBSD...

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > system call. Rebuilding cdrecord solved the problem, but this
> > illustrates that the recommended procedure is incomplete - you need to
> > reinstall all ports/packages as well, right? Is there a tool that
>
> Hardly ever, actually. A few ones might need reinstalling in some
> cases, but most ports should continue to work just fine.

That's actually what I expect.

> Was this, by any chance, a 2.2.x -> 3.x upgrade? This is a far

Nope. 3.0-RELEASE->3.1-STABLE (at the time of the 3.1-RELEASE
release).

> > Does anyone actually update all such things? Or do they do the more
> > realistic thing, and just rebuild things that aren't from /usr/ports -
> > or are, for that matter - when they break? Which would also be a
> > perfectly reasonable attitude for /usr/src & make/make install
> > vs. buildworkd/installworld, and which at least one person recommended
> > to me in private mail.
>
> Whatever it works for you. :-)

Yeah - I'm still considering it. I had been working on the (incorrect,
obviously) that "make/make install" on the tree or parts of it the
equivalent for patches in other platforms.

> The reason "world" is necessary is that the interdependencies of the
> build process are too complex for a simple "all" target. It *could*
> be made to work, at the price making working in the source tree a
> PITA.

Well, it could be done with a new branch between -STABLE & -RELEASE,
that had to build against the -RELEASE headers & libraries. But in
general, yeah - having a branch that would build properly against
*any* old version of the branch is a PITA, and something you don't run
into in commercial build environments.

> But most working programs should *continue* to work, new world or
> not. That's one reason for using shared libraries, even: so they can
> get the newer version (with bug fixes) without needing
> recompilation.

That has, in general, been my experience. *Including* programs that
are built from /usr/src via make & make install. Sure, it's not
guaranteed to work. But it sounds like neither is anything else that
was on the system before the world got built.

> So, it comes down to one getting used enough to know your way
> around. I think we are still way ahead than anyone else when it
> comes down to building the whole system (or even parts of it :).

Certainly ahead of the BSD releases I dealt with before. NetBSD seems
close, though.

	<mike