Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:04:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: extracting bootblock from dos 6.22 boot floppy (FreeBSD 4.1)

Rick,

the mknbi docs (mknbi-dos in particular) are
interesting reading.  According to these docs (and
people on the etherboot mailing list) it is possible
to do this.
This is why I am investigating this option:

I want to have a dos client set up to connect to a
Windows Terminal server.  I know there is a Citrix ICA
client for Dos that can be set up from a floppy but
the terminal servers I want to connect to don't have
Metaframe installed. Also video performance under the
dos ICA client when doing web browsing etc. is quite
ordinary.  Using Windows 3.x or above with the
appropriate display driver for your video card greatly
improves video speed.
The problem I have is the terminal server I need to
connect to may not be on the local subnet.  You cannot
configure windows 3.x to run windows from off a TCP/IP
network attached drive and then use the winsock TCP
features within the windows session (Windows terminal
server client uses winsock).  You can however
configure windows with Netbeui or IPX along with
TCP/IP-32.  It can then run windows off the Netbeui or
IPX mounted network drive and then start TCP/IP-32
once windows has loaded.  I don't have the flexibility
of having a Netbeui or IPX server on the local
ethernet.

Network booting will be a much faster, cleaner option.
 The Windows 3.x image that needs to be network booted
is <20MB so it's not that big.

I've been told that I can use the dd command with rfd0
to get the bootblock off the floppy.  I'll try that
tongiht and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Paul