Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:13:57 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: White ftp.freebsd.org is down..

At 04:48 PM 9/30/98 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>You may find 3.0-19980930-BETA on ftp://hub.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD.
>
>As usual, lots was fixed.  Have at it, folks!

<Dryly spoken>
Now that I almost have 3.0-19980930-BETA almost installed and considering that I found only one decent mirror that had all but one chunk.

Thanks!
</Dryly spoken>

Murphy's been working OT all week. <sigh>

One more install on the way though. 8-)

Seriously.   I did notice what may be a bug with the install.  A chunk was missing (manpages.ab) from the ftp4 mirror and install churned away for over an hour before I realized there was traffic (as I watched my TA lights in keen anticipation), but the install was hung.  Obviously after a meg passed, but no chunks _and_ no errors on vty2 it was time to check my local copy.

Long time since I've had any problems installing (take a bow).  I checked out my local copy, jumped to another mirror, thankfully found the chunk (ftp3 had less than half them), and mv'd the missing chunk.  The install happily started progressing immediately, but why didn't it squak?

The last time I saw this was about 2 years ago, but then part of a chunk was missing ie corrupt - retrying or something like that.  All cases were with an FTP install from either an offical site or a locally.

Should I try to duplicate this with 9/30?  Mind you I won't wait an hour. ;)

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net