Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2012 14:02:54 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD 9 Production Ready?

Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com> writes:

> On 11/24/2012 11:19 AM, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:
>> I wouldn't
>> blindly trust and drop an operating system on production servers, no
>> matter how good the feedback from outside my organization sounds.
>
> In general, I'd agree with you.  Certainly, that's been the case
> with Linux, AIX, and so on over the years.

I have a very small server of my own for the house, and I generally
update it to major versions within a few weeks of updating. I think I
had it on RELENG_9 within two months of 9.0 being released. As far as I
recall, I had very few problems making the jump.

> But I have had essentially no problems doing in-place major rev
> updates with FreeBSD thus far.  The only breakage I am worried about
> now is whether the new compiler change breaks things that used to
> work just fine.  For example, will my make.conf settings be properly
> observed by the new tool chain?

I wouldn't use the new toolchain for this server. The old toolchain is
still the default anyway.