Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 15:00:36 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jtroy@goof.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding Memory to my system

On Fri, Dec 12, 1997 at 12:07:30AM -0500, jtroy@goof.com wrote:

> 	I have a Pentium 75 with 16 megs of RAM and an EIDE hard drive.
> I am considering adding another 16 megs of RAM to my system in an
> attempt to increase performance--It seems like my system is always
> swapping.  Changing virtual screens in my window manager takes awhile if I
> have too many things running and overall system performance slows to a
> halt if I run XEmacs and Netscape at the same time.

Yes, I'd expect more memory to improve your performance.

> 	Anyway, my question is this: if I add memory to my system, will I
> have to change the amount of swap space that I have (I currently have 64 megs
> of swap space)

No.  If you got by before, you'll still get by.  OTOH, having a more
responsive system might tempt you to start more processes at the same
time, which will use up more virtual memory.  In this case, you may
find that you need to add more swap.

> and if so, will I have to re-install FreeBSD to do this?

That depends very much on your configuration.  You'll obviously need
to find another area of disk to put your swap on (you *can* use a
file, but I'd strongly recommend not to do so).  If you have the
choice, put it on a different disk from the first swap area.  If you
don't have any additional space, you'll at least have to resize a file
system, which involves writing it to tape, removing it, recreating it
smaller, and restoring from tape.  If the file system is /usr, you'll
have to do this in single user mode.  If it's /, you'll have to
reinstall the system.

Greg