Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:39:57 +0200
From:      Jean-Sebastien ROY <jean-sebastien.roy@wanadoo.fr>
To:        doug.pokorny@intel.com (Pokorny, Doug)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster 128 problems

In article
<4DD3005D05B4D311AC460090278570C103039B1D@fmsmsx89.fm.intel.com>,
 doug.pokorny@intel.com (Pokorny, Doug) wrote:

> [...]
[...]
> > I have the exactly same problem too (with the same card and 4.3 RC).
> >
> > Did you manage to solve it ?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Have you tried playing a file with splay?  I've got an Abit BE6-II based
> system with a SoundBlaster PCI-128.
>
> This system is currently running 4.3-STABLE, but it has run everything from
> 4.0-RC through 4.3-STABLE with bi-weekly cvsups.
>
> Its only role is to play mp3s 24x7, so problems with the sound card would
> have been immediately noticed.

Searching in the mailling lists, I found a message from Greg Rumple in
freebsd-current (the thread 'Soundblaster 64 PCI' describe the very same
problem I'm having) :

> This is the same problem I am having with a Soundblaster 16 PCI on
> 4.2-STABLE.  I found a work around for it.  It appears that there is
> something that is being un-initialized by the FreeBSD es1371 driver that
> other OS's do set.  I have built a linux boot floppy, boot it, modprobe
> the linux es1371 driver, and than reboot into FreeBSD and the problem is
> gone.  And until I power off the machine, the card works fine.
>
> I have brought this up several times on the freebsd-multimedia list, but
> have gone un-noticed each time.
>
> Anyway, I have found a lame work around, until it is fixed properly.
>
> Greg

So I tried the FreeBSD OSS sound driver (which works), unloaded it, and
reloaded the original pcm driver, which works correctly then.

I powered down my machine, restarted it, loaded the pcm driver, tried
splay : same problem as before, the sound is distorted.

js