Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 12:35:26 +0100
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   netstat problem

Hello,

Here is an output of sockstat -4, running 4.2-STABLE with a new kernel
from this morning :

USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
root     XFree86    325    1 ?      ?                     ?
nobody   httpd      311   16 ?      ?                     ?
nobody   httpd      310   16 ?      ?                     ?
root     healthd    296    6 ?      ?                     ?
root     httpd      288   16 ?      ?                     ?
root     sshd       230    4 ?      ?                     ?
root     sendmail   226    4 ?      ?                     ?
root     sendmail   226    5 ?      ?                     ?
root     lpd        223    6 ?      ?                     ?
[...]

The only thing that I changed for this kernel is that I replaced
-march=pentium with -march=k6 in the CFLAGS.  I didn't know that k6
was a valid cpu type for gcc and discovered this with the CPUTYPE
introduction of kris.

I don't think it comes from here though because I've seen someone
having a similar problem on the mailing list.

It seems netstat is broken.  It fails to correctly display TCP
statistics.  However, it prints UDP correctly.

I didn't rebuild world, only the kernel, but I rebuilt netstat too to
be sure it wasn't a kernel/userland sync problem even if /usr/src/UPDATING
says nothing about this.

Maxime
--
Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations ; BSD is the One True Code
Key fingerprint = F9B6 1D5A 4963 331C 88FC  CA6A AB50 1EF2 8CBE 99D6