Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:10:08 -0000
From:      "Tim Bishop" <tim-lists@bishnet.net>
To:        "Will Andrews" <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ls-lR.gz on ftp.freebsd.org

> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 03:09:00PM +0000, Tim Bishop wrote:
> > We run ftp2.uk.freebsd.org and we're currently mirroring from
> > ftp.freebsd.org. We've recently noticed a problem with the ls-lR.gz
> > file on ftp.freebsd.org - it doesn't seem to accurately reflect the
> > tree found on the server. This is causing problems for our mirroring
> > software which takes the ls-lR.gz file as the definitive list of files
> > available and pulls them from one (or more) servers.
> >
> > A specific example is the directory /pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current. On
> > ftp.freebsd.org this only contains a single tar file, but in the ls-lR
> > file there's a whole tree of files.
> >
> > My guess is that the ls-lR.gz file is generate on ftp-master, and
> > ftp.freebsd.org isn't quite in sync with it?
>
> Don't mirror from ftp.freebsd.org.  That server should only
> handle clients.  Use ftp.uk at least, if not ftp-master.  In any
> case, this most likely means the ftp.freebsd.org mirror is
> probably not mirroring the source trees directly, but rather
> locally and then tarring up the result to reduce directory I/O.

I didn't set this up originally. I think the original person presumed
ftp.freebsd.org was the master. As far as I am aware we do not have
access to ftp-master - we'd be happy to use this if we could.

As you say, the other option is to mirror from ftp.uk. I'll suggest
this to my colleagues.

However, the original point was that the site was not in sync with the
ls-lR file. I presumed, maybe wrongly, that this was "not normal" which
is why I pointed it out.

Cheers,
Tim.