Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 06:35:34 -0500
From:      stan <stanb@awod.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /etc/ttys ? Question

I'm trying to do something on FreeBSD, that I have done easily on Linux,
and I'm runing inot a bit of dificulty.

What I want to do si have a FreeBSD machine start up a task on boot, that
needs to _display only_ to a dedicated virtual terminal. That virtual
terminal should not be runing a getty, and should ignore keyboard input.

I am planing on ahving a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d to start this task
(it's a perl script), and redirect it's output to a specific virtual
terminal.

I want to be able to switch to and from this virtual terminal via the
sandard {ALT Fkey} sequence.

I suspect that the magic here lies in /etc/ttys, but I have tried several
different things thee withou success.

Can anyone point me to som documentation on how to do this? Or offer
advice?

Oh, and the task nneds to be su'd to a spefic suer, but I know how to do
that in the rc script, so I don;t think that affects the discussion here.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin