Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:36:52 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: USB driver design issues

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 06:09:49PM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> There are known bugs in -stable that I imagine won't ever get fixed.
> The stack has been reengineered in NetBSD though and ported to
> -current, but it remains to be seen whether anyone's got the time
> to port it to -stable.

I might try that. A potential problem is that I only have a few
USB devices.

> I don't know about the issue that you mention particularly, but it does
> appear that device disconnection is now very stable in -current.  It may
> be worth trying to put a current box together to try it, or finding
> someone who can test your driver on a -current box.

No it doesn't (on inspection). The uhub driver is missing
DEVMETHOD(bus_child_detached, uhub_child_detached) in the uhubroot
so that device isn't cleared when a driver is kldunloaded.

The -current version has DEVMETHOD(bus_driver_added, uhub_driver_added),
but the method is empty. This is required in -stable to stop the
bus_generic_driver_added from being called and probing the devices
without setting up the attach_arg structure.

And empty uhub_driver_added method means that a USB device has to
be disconnected and re-connected before the device is probed as
ugen after a driver is kldunloaded.

--
John Birrell